Monday, December 11, 2006

What About Santa?

You know having kids always has you thinking of something you never thought of before. What do I mean? As a Christian and a parent I want to help my children avoid the pitfalls I have been plagued with in my life. I know that I am not going to be able to shield them from all of these but I want to equip them with the tools to know how to overcome anything they come across.

Well how do you handle Santa, Tooth Fairy, and the Easter Bunny??

Well a couple of years ago when Alex was about 3 or 4 we came across a book called "The Truth about Santa Claus". What a wonderful find! I had been telling the kids that Santa did exist but he died a long time ago. I wanted them to know how much Saint Nick loved Jesus but I didn't know how to address it. So now every Christmas we read this book and let the kids ask questions. They still think Santa is coming from time to time but on Christmas morning they never say "What did Santa bring me?" It is usually adults who ask that question to my kids. Now I don't want them to kill Christmas for another kids and I haven't heard of them doing that but I want them to know the truth.

I have heard some adults say "I remember when I found out about Santa and it crushed me!" "My parents lied to me!" I don't think my kids would react like that but as strongly as I feel about lying I didn't want to take a chance.

The tooth fairy, well I couldn't find any "Christian" basis for it so I have gone along with the Tooth Fairy myth. When my kids come out and ask me "Mom are you the tooth fairy?" I will tell them the truth.

About the Easter Bunny. We haven't had a problem with this. We do get the kids Easter baskets but because we celebrate Jesus' gift to us they have never even mentioned the Easter bunny! What a blessing!! Thank you Lord for my beautiful, precious gifts!!

Although we have created our own little "myth". We have started the Valentine fairy. I remember when I was in school we would give valentine to everyone in class at school. What year was it that we began giving them only to the people we liked? I wanted my children to know that they are my valentine each and every year so I created this little way to tell them I love them!!

Any way you slice it we are giving them a solid foundation, teaching them the One Truth, the Way, and the Life.

John 14:6
Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

No comments: